Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Lord is my light and my salvation Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life Of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

Ever felt like the odds were stacked against you? Or had times when you were surrounded by challenges at every turn?

The prophet Elisha had that problem with a situation in 2 Kings 6:8-23. There was an entire army sent to capture him and bring him to the king of Syria.

This great army, with horses and chariots, had gathered in the night. When Elisha's servant, Gehazi, arose early in the morning, he was met with this frightening site. Surely he and Elisha were done for!
Or so it seemed.
Alarmed, Gehazi frantically asked Elisha--what were they going to do?
They were surrounded. The odds were stacked against them.

Elisha was unperturbed. He told his agitated servant "Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those with them."(vs 16).

Say that again, Elisha? We have more with us than what we see is against us?

And Elisha prayed, and said "Lord, I pray, open his eyes that he may see." Then the Lord opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw. And behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. vs 17.

The mountain was filled with an angelic army that had horses and fiery chariots! Can you imagine such a sight! The answer, their deliverance, was there...Gehazi just couldn't see it until Elisha prayed that God would open his eyes so he could see into the supernatural realm.

And the army of God trumped the army of Syria.

Sometimes we just need God to open our eyes so that we can see the answer to the problem or situation we're facing. Doesn't matter if it seems the odds are stacked against you. You may be surrounded by what appears to be insurmountable challenges. But our God is a deliverer and He has the final say on any situation.

Oh Lord, I will not fear because those with me are more than those who are against me. Open my eyes that I may see.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very powerful post and one so many need to read. So many times we face what we can only see is disaster, yet God has peace or success only around the corner. We can't see it so we panic. If only we could pray that God would open our eyes so that we could see with our hearts even if we aren't able to see with our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good. I prayed for God to give our family a revival and he opened our eyes to a battle that was raging all around us. While at first I thought the evil was getting stronger our Lord whispered to me that this evil was present with me before He revived me, He simply opened my eyes to it. Through fasting and prayer we came through it and walked away from the situations that were at the brunt of it all. Thank Him for deliverance!

    ReplyDelete