Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Building Drought Tolerance- Meditating on the Word



Only be strong and very courageous, that you may observe to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may prosper wherever you go.
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:7-9

For some reason, I gravitate to the Old Testament which is full of action, excitement, and astounding miracles showing God's mighty hand at work. Not to say the New Testament isn't just as exciting. I just enjoy studying the characters and events of the Old Testament--thundering prophets, warrior women--everyday people who did mighty things through trusting El Elyon--the most high God.

One of my favorite books (and people) is Joshua. Joshua- one of the original twelve spies who went to spy out Canaan-the Promised Land (Numbers 13). A man with vision who was ready to take on the giants in the land. He and Caleb were the only two of the twelve, who didn't look at how big the problems were. They knew their God was bigger and that He would help them take the land. Unfortunately, due to the unbelief of the ten who gave a bad report and who didn't believe they could conquer the land, and the multitude followed the bad report, they were sentenced to wander in the wilderness for 40 years.

In the first chapter of Joshua, God is giving him instructions, as he is now the leader. In essence God told him to
  • be strong
  • be courageous
  • be focused
  • meditate on the Word (Book of the Law) day and night
and by doing these things that Joshua would prosper and have good success.
Interesting that God would have to command him to be strong and of good courage.
Apparently taking their God-ordained land was going to be something that could cause fear. Ever felt shaky when advancing on what you know God has told you to do? Ran up against strong opposition? Fully accomplishing the will of God and apprehending your purpose and destiny is definitely not a cakewalk. It is a battle.

One key God gave Joshua was to meditate on the Word day and night. This translation of this word meditate means 'to groan, growl, utter, muse, mutter, meditate, devise, plot, speak.'
This does not give the picture of reading and just serenely thinking about what you read. This denotes action-- groaning and growling comes from deep within. Taking it deep, pondering it, going over it throughout the day, speaking it out to yourself,making it a part of you. Hiding it in your heart (Psalm 119:11)

So how is this put in practice. For example, let's take our current state affairs in our country... better yet, the world. There is a global economic crisis which is affecting an unprecedented number of people. Just looking at my household-- I'm self-employed and my business depends on others buying my services. As people are curtailing their spending and delaying purchases, this adversely affects me. Sales are down, therefore there is less money. My spouse works for the State government. His job is requiring employees have 2 -3 furlough days per month. Which means they still work but don't get paid.

These are things that we have no control over. So we need to know what God says in His word about situations like this.

A couple of scriptures that are a part of my very being for financial issues (from meditating on them) are Philippians 4:19 - My God shall supply all your need according to His riches and glory in Christ Jesus, and the scriptures in Malachi 3:8-12 which speaks of the blessings God provides to those who tithe. So when a bill comes that I don't have the money for at the moment, I hold it up to the Lord, and speak the promise that 'all my needs are met' according to His word, and that as a tither I am blessed.. God invites us to put Him in remembrance of His word. (Isaiah 43:16).

Additionally, as the word becomes a part of us through meditating on it, our faith is strengthened.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jaidee, for sharing this word. It is a timely word. I can appreciate the title of your blog. At one point in my walk, I felt like I would never get out the desert, a place where it didn't appear that anything was what it should be, especially me. As I type this I realize, like the israelites I may have continued so long because,,,I just wasn't getting it, nor was I not into action what I knew. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete