Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Evolution of Ideas

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways, my ways," says the Lord
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are My ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts"
Isaiah 55:8,9

Today's image is entitled "Waltzing Roses." Don't you think these roses look like they're in movement? Like they're dancing together.

I had a great idea today! And I know it's a'God-idea'. And the reason I know is because it's part of an idea I've had for a while now, say about 15 years, and now it has evolved into maturity.

That's the way, it seems, ideas work for me. They evolve. Seems like, usually, when God gives me an idea or gives me something to do or work on, it takes a while for it to come into full manifestation. (No, most of them don't take 15 years!). I will admit, this has been the cause of a lot of frustration throughout my life. Especially when I know it's something that has come from the Lord, and I'm the type of person to get things going! No grass growing under my feet!

I hear other believers say how God has given them an idea, they do it, and it works fantastically! They have this huge success, make all kinds of money, etc, etc,. And what He gives me...most of the time--it takes time.

Most of these ideas that I'm talking about have to do with creating new products, developing workshops, writing, music---things in the creative arena. So what I do is I write them all down in a special book I keep just for my creative ventures. I continue to work on them until I have developed them as fully as I can, and then I return to them when it's time. All the while, I am saying to the Lord--'okay, whenever you say go....'

In that frustration that used to plague me, I almost said at one time that I didn't want ideas any more if all they did was sit there. I backtracked on that thought (read: repented) really quick, because to take that kind of stance blocks creative flow.

I don't know why things work that way for me. But that's the way creative development works for me, most of the time, and I've learned to just flow with it and trust the Lord that He will bring things to pass.

I used to asked the Lord "Why don't you give me some instant success thing like you did so-and-so? Why did you make it where with me, things have to take time to develop?" Yeah, guess you could parallel me to this scripture in Romans 9:20

"But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay..."

Ouch.

So I stopped asking "Why me like this?" and I've just learned to flow with it. One thing I've learned is sometimes the things I get ideas for are stepping stones to even greater ideas. Or I have them already developed for a more opportune time.

So to keep this from being a ridiculously long post, I'll give an example of that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment