Friday, July 3, 2009

Searching for the Open Door

Show me your ways, O Lord;
Teach me your paths
Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For you are the God of my salvation
Psalm 25:4,5
I tried a door, and it didn't open. And so, unless God says otherwise, I'm moving past it.

I had applied for a full-time job with a well-known organization whose purpose aligns with my life's purpose; and I see now that the position is no longer available, and I'm not the one who got the job.

How can someone who has their own business ventures even think of going to work full-time for someone else?

When I put in a prayer request to my Master Mind group, asking them to pray with me, to have God's guidance and wisdom in pursuing this job, one of them asked me --'Do you really want a full-time job with all the things you already do? Is it a position that will allow you to still pursue your other interests?'--

The answer to both questions is NO. I don't really want a full time job with all I already do; and the position would be time-consuming where I would have to lay my other interests aside, or find someone else who could carry them.

Yet, I don't have a problem or an issue, if the Lord has me take such a path for a season and His reason.

I know some people would say they would never consider going back to working a regular job once they started their own business...they would just keep pressing at it to make their ventures work, or they'll find another avenue. And that's all well. That kind of grit and determination has fueled some to break down doors to get to where they want to go.

However, I choose to be flexible. "Lord, if you say I need to be working somewhere for someone else for a period of time, then so be it." I know that I'm called to be an innovative and creative, entrepreneur. But I also understand seasons of life, and I understand there may be a season where I need to make such an adjustment.

Actually, 1990 was the last time I held a regular job--you know-- the 40-hour day job with benefits, seniority, and a paycheck every two weeks. I was actually pretty comfortable. I had this dependable income, and also had my photography business on the side, which brought in even more income.

And then I heard the Lord tell me it was time to leave where I was and open my photography business full-time. Yes! Now life was going to get even better!

There I was--standing on the brink of something wonderful! As a dedicated, die-hard follower of Jesus Christ, a person of prayer and faith, one who had seen God's miraculous hand work for me in difficult situations I had on that day-job--I just knew I was stepping into my own Promised land flowing with milk and honey. Yes, I knew there would be the struggles to get things established, but eventually everything would be in place and set up to be wonderful and everything I expected. I knew that because I was already connected with others who had set up like businesses.

And besides, GOD had called me to take the leap! It was His ideal. It was something I had been praying about for years, and believing Him to open the door at the right time, and I had patiently waited and my time had come!

Now it was the time, and yes, God called me to take that leap of faith. So surely things were going to all work out.

And yet.

It didn't wind up being this wonderful, glorious thing I had envisioned. It's been a wild ride and I have loved and still love what I do, and wouldn't trade any of the experiences for the comfort I had before. But it has not been easy.

From that point on, back in 1990 when I took that leap, I landed in the midst of a battle that is continuing to this day.

Will explain more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment