Sunday, July 12, 2009

On trying new things and being grateful


And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Colossians 3:15-17

I'm trying new things. Abstract type art is not something I've ever been interested in, but I decided to try to create something along those lines because it's something to stretch myself beyond what's familiar. Thus my image for today.

What I did was photograph a rose that was hanging on to its last few petals to see if I could create something beautiful out of something that was beautiful no more. Here is the original photograph.
The abstract above is just a beginning step. When I have a little more time, I'll play around with it some more to see what I come up with.

Hey, did you know that most likely you're considered "affluent?" How so, you say?

I’m re-reading a book called “Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World – Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People.”

In the second chapter, there’s a section where four questions are posed to see if you meet the criteria for being a person of affluence. (Definition of affluence: A plentiful supply of material goods; wealth. A great quantity; an abundance.)

These questions are:

  1. Do you have more than one pair of shoes?
  2. Do you have more than one choice about what you will eat for each meal?
  3. Do you have access to your own means of transportation?
  4. Do you have more than one set of underwear?

The authors state that if you can answer “Yes” to three or more of these questions, then by overall standards of the world, you are affluent. They further state that fewer than 10 percent of all people who have ever lived have been able to answer “yes” to three or more questions at any one time in their lives.

Wow. I found that amazing—especially the fewer than 10 percent who have ever lived. . Even in the midst of difficult times, many of us are still “affluent.” This helps me, personally, to be even more grateful.

So how about you–do you meet the criteria for affluence?

1 comment:

  1. You always make something beautiful when you photograph something.

    If you are counting by purses, my purse collection would qualify me as one of the wealthiest women in the west. I've been collecting purses since I was a little girl. I have one that was my grandmother's and is probably 50 yrs old. I have a few others that were my other grandmother's and are at least thirty years old.

    ReplyDelete