Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On Building Drought Tolerance- The words you speak.




For the word of God
is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

We live in a world of gross darkness which constantly pulsates fear and negativity into the atmosphere. Not surprising since the Prince of this world (satan) is one whose mission is to kill, steal, and destroy, as Jesus says in John 10:10 . Jesus himself came to give life, and to give it more abundantly.

Another key to building drought-tolerance is not just meditating on the word of God, but speaking it into the situations that challenge us. God has given us immense power in words. There are many scriptures that speak of the power of the tongue and its effect.

For example- Proverbs 18:20-21

A man’s stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth;
From the produce of his lips he shall be filled.
Death and life are in the power of the tongue,
And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Jesus says in Matthew 12:34-37

"For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

When going through tough times, the temptation is always there to complain " Why is this happening to ME!' And even when times aren't so tough, we're tempted to speak what we see or feel.

"I just don't know how I'm going to make it. Things are so hard right now and I don't see anyway out."
Now granted, that may be a fact, but focus more on truth.
The fact may be that you don't know how you're going to make, but by focusing on and speaking the truth which is God's word, that is sharper than any two-edge sword, the power of His word is released to work on your behalf.

"My God shall supply all your need according to his riches and glory in Christ Jesus. " Philippians 4:19
"God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

There are many promises of God that meet any situation we may face.

Yes, undeniably the economy is in the tank.
Yes, times are difficult. People are losing their jobs. Businesses are going under.
Yes, you may have to make your money stretch more while paying higher prices for necessities.
Yes, many believers are in spots where only divine intervention is going to be their salvation.

But where others speak with fear, we can speak out words of hope for ourselves, and to them.

I love the way David does things. He faced many hard times, and he cried out to God with many hard questions.

How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever? How long will You hide Your face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul, Having sorrow in my heart daily? How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
3
Consider and hear me, O LORD my God; Enlighten my eyes, Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
4 Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed against him”; Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
5 But I have trusted in Your mercy; My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
6
I will sing to the LORD, Because He has dealt bountifully with me.
Psalm 13

Ever felt like David? Like God has just forgotten you and your troubles? Though David starts off on a sorrowful, weary note, he doesn't end there. Though the fact was that it seemed his enemies were prevailing against him (our enemies today can be financial problems, health problems, rebellious children, unfair employers, back-biting people), he remembered how God had always come through for him and that's the note he ended on. Speaking the truth of the trustfulness and mercy of God.

So instead of just saying the facts, let's speak out the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment